There are a number of venues across Newcastle that are licenced to hold ceremonies, including weddings and civil partnerships. These venues are known as approved premises and you can apply to have your venue licenced too.
Information you will need
Before you submit your application you will need:
- the fee
- a completed application form
- a copy of the floor plans for the premises, detailing which parts and/or rooms of the venue will be used for marriage and civil partnership ceremonies
- a copy of the boundary plan for the premises detailing which outside areas of the venue will be used for marriage and civil partnership ceremonies
- a fire risk assessment summary sheet
The licence fee
The fee is:
- £985 for registration (including advertising of the application)
- £400 for a review of a decision
How to apply to become an approved premises
To start your application, please read our:
Then complete our:
To submit your application to the licensing team:
After you have applied
We will confirm within 14 days that we have received your application.
If you do not hear from us in this time please contact the licensing office.
We will also arrange an inspection of the premises by a:
- licensing officer
Advertising your application
After we have confirmed that the premises has met the criteria and conditions laid down, the application will be:
This allows residents to view the application and to make any objections, within 21 days.
Providing no objections are received your venue will be granted approved premises status.
If any objections are received to an application, the approval process will be suspended. Only once the objections have been investigated and it is established as to whether or not it affects the approval of the premises, will the process continue to either grant or refuse the application.
How long it takes to process an application
Our target for processing a correctly completed application (without objections) is 90 days.
If you are applying to become an approved premises, you should not advertise or take bookings for any marriage and civil partnership ceremonies until the application is completed and approved premises status has been granted.