Other council tax discounts and exemptions

Information on other discounts and exemptions available on a property you live in.

You could qualify for a discount if you or someone who lives with you is:

  • detained in a prison, hospital or other place of detention. Except for those detained for non-payment of council tax or a fine.
  • an apprentice or Training Credits Programme Trainee
  • people aged 18 for whom child benefit is still payable

Or, you may be exempt from paying council tax if the property is solely occupied by:

  • Members of religious communities (monks and nuns).
  • People staying in certain hostels and night shelters.
  • Members of visiting forces and certain international institutions.
  • Diplomats, persons who have diplomatic immunity and certain members of their household.
  • Dependent relatives in an annexe who are over the age of 65 years. They must be substantially and permanently disabled or suffering from a severe mental impairment.

The above groups are in broad terms, within each of the groups there are certain conditions. We may ask for evidence to verify that you meet these conditions before we can apply the discount.

To apply you must complete the discount form below and provide as much detail as possible. It would be helpful if you include a telephone number and email address. This is in case we need to contact you about your application. 

Apply for a council tax discount or exemption

Council Tax Hardship Scheme

Council tax hardship awards are in Section 13A Local Government Finance Act 1992 as amended by Local Government Act 2003, section 76. The aim is to award relief towards council tax payable for those suffering financial hardship.

Applicants liable for council tax should submit a written request and return it with:

  •  The main reason for applying
  •  Their income and expenditure
  •  Evidence to support their claim
  •  Contact details

Council Tax Hardship Policy


You must still pay the amount on your existing council tax bill until you hear from us. We will issue a new bill if you qualify for the reduction.


If you paid by Direct Debit, we will refund any overpayment back into your bank account. Otherwise, you will receive a credit notice so that you can claim a refund

If you no longer qualify for discount

You must tell us within 21 days if you believe that you are no longer entitled to the discount or exemption. If we find out later that you were not entitled to all or part of the reduction that you were awarded, we will send you a revised backdated council tax bill.