Moving in

If you are new to the area, moved in to your first home or this is the first time that you are responsible for paying council tax, you need to complete the move in form.

Once you have a fixed date for moving home, please advise us within 21 days of the change taking place. This helps make sure that you are not charged unnecessary council tax on a property you are not responsible for, and also allows us to quickly issue a correct bill for your new address.

Please ensure that the information provided is accurate. Providing false, misleading or incorrect details may result in you having to pay more council tax than necessary and may delay a new bill being issued.

Before you start

  • Check if your property is within the Newcastle City Council area.

Find your local authority


We will also need to know the following details so please have this information at hand before you complete the form:

  • Full names of all residents over 18 years old in the household
  • Full address details
  • Landlord or agent’s details and any joint tenant details if you are a tenant
  • Solicitors' and any joint owner’s details if you’re buying or selling the property
  • Bank details if you want to set up a Direct Debit to pay your council tax

Please complete move in form

Please remember that you must tell the council of all changes in circumstances that affect the amount of council tax you pay within 21 days of the change, whether this means that you pay more or less. If you fail to do this the council may impose a penalty of £70.00. If you fail to tell us on more than one occasion the penalty may be increased to £280.00.