Attachment of benefits

If a liability order has been granted for a council tax debt that you owe, we can order the DWP (Department of Work and Pensions) to deduct a regular amount from your benefits to pay towards your unpaid council tax.

Benefit Deductions

We may be able to apply for deductions if you are receiving any of the following;

  • Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA)
  • Income Support (IS)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Pension Credit (PC)
  • Universal Credit (UC)

 A maximum of one attachment of benefit order can be in force at any time.

How to stop deductions from your wage or benefits 

Once an attachment to your benefits is in force, it won't usually be cancelled until payment is received in full.

Contact us

If you are suffering from severe financial hardship due to the deductions being taken, you must contact us and provide an offer of payment with evidence of your financial situation, such as bank statements, proof of incomings and outgoings, copies of bills, etc. to enable us to consider an alternative payment arrangement. 

If you need to contact us regarding deductions from your benefit, please call us on 0191 278 7878 and ask for council tax.