Moving within the area

If you are already registered with us and you are moving to another address within the area where you will be responsible for council tax you need to complete the move within form.

Please note, if you are already registered with us, you will need your existing 12 digit council tax reference number to tell us about a change of address. This can be found on your latest bill.

Once you have a fixed date for moving home, please advise us within 21 days of the change taking place. This helps make sure that you are not charged unnecessary council tax on a property you are not responsible for, and also allows us to quickly issue a correct bill for your new address.

Please ensure that the information provided is accurate. Providing false, misleading or incorrect details may result in you having to pay more council tax than necessary and may delay a new bill being issued.

Before you start

We will need to know the following details so please have this information at hand before you complete the form:

  • Your council tax reference number 
  • Full names of all residents over 18 years old in the household
  • Full address details of the property you have moved from
  • Full address details of the property you are moving to
  • Landlord or agent’s details and any joint tenant details if you've been a tenant
  • Solicitors' and any joint owner’s details if you’re buying or selling the property
  • New owner or occupier details
  • Bank details if you want to set up a Direct Debit to pay your council tax

Moving within form

If your circumstances change

Please remember that you must tell the council of all changes in circumstances that affect the amount of council tax you pay within 21 days of the change, whether this means that you pay more or less. If you fail to do this the council may impose a penalty of £70.00. If you fail to tell us on more than one occasion the penalty may be increased to £280.00.


Once you have told us the details, we will send you a bill showing what you owe for your new address, along with a bill for anything owed at your old address if it is within Newcastle City Council area.

Your bill will tell you what your new instalments will be.

If you have moved within the area and you overpaid for your old address, we will usually use the credit to reduce what you owe at your new address.

If you have moved out of the area or you are not responsible for council tax at your new address, any overpayment will automatically be refunded if you have paid by Direct Debit, or a credit notice will be issued so that you can claim a refund.

If you think you have overpaid you can check your balance online by signing in or requesting to view your account online at the link below:

Log in or request to view your account online

If you have received a credit notice you can claim a refund below:

Apply for a refund