Moving out

If you are already registered with us and you are moving out of the area, or you are not responsible for council tax at your new address, for example, you are moving in with parents, you will need to complete the moving out form to ensure you are not charged unnecessarily.

Please note, you will need your existing 12 digit council tax reference number, to tell us about a change of address. This can be found on your latest bill.

Once you have a fixed date for moving home, please advise us within 21 days of the change taking place. This helps make sure that you are not charged unnecessary council tax on a property you are not responsible for, and also allows us to quickly issue a correct bill for your new address.

Please ensure that the information provided is accurate. Providing false, misleading or incorrect details may result in you having to pay more council tax than necessary and may delay a new bill being issued.

Before you start

We will need to know the following details so please have this information at hand before you complete the form:

  • Your council tax reference number
  • Full names of all residents over 18 years old that will remain in the household
  • Full address details of the property you have moved from
  • Full address details of the property you are moving to
  • Landlord or agent’s details and any joint tenant details if you've been a tenant
  • Solicitors' and any joint owner’s details if you’re buying or selling the property
  • New owner or occupier details
  • Bank details if you want to set up a Direct Debit to pay your council tax

Moving Out form

If your circumstances change

Please remember that you must tell the council of all changes in circumstances that affect the amount of council tax you pay within 21 days of the change, whether this means that you pay more or less. If you fail to do this the council may impose a penalty of £70.00. If you fail to tell us on more than one occasion the penalty may be increased to £280.00.


Once you have told us the details, we will send you a bill showing anything owed at your old address if it is within Newcastle City Council area.

If you overpaid for your old address, but you have other debts for council tax within the Newcastle City Council area, we will usually use the credit to reduce the balance outstanding on what you owe.

If you have moved out of the area or you are not responsible for council tax at your new address or any other properties in the area, any over-payment will automatically be refunded if you have paid by Direct Debit.

Alternatively, a credit notice will be issued so that you can claim a refund.

If you think you have overpaid you can check your balance online by signing in or requesting to view your account online by clicking on the link below:

Log in or request to view your account online

If you have received a credit notice you can claim a refund by completing the form below:

Apply for a refund