Single person discount

Apply for a single person discount if you are the only person over 18 years of age that lives in your property. You can also advise us here if you no longer qualify for the discount.

You will need your 12 digit council tax reference number to apply for the discount. It is on the top left of your bill under the address.

Your council tax bill assumes there are two or more adults (aged 18 years or over) living in your home.

We may be able to reduce your bill by 25% if:

  • you are the only adult in your home (aged 18 years or over),
  • and, your home is your sole or main residence.

There are certain circumstances where a 25% discount may still be available. For example, where other adults living in the property are:

  • full-time students or apprentices.
  • suffering from a severe mental impairment.
  • 18/19 years old and recently left education or you are still in receipt of child benefit for them.

For more information on other reductions on a property you live in, please click below:

Reductions on property you live in

To apply for single person discount, complete the form below. You must provide as much detail as possible.

Apply for single person discount

You must still pay the amount on your existing council tax bill until you hear from us. We will issue a new bill if you qualify for the reduction.


If you paid by Direct Debit, we will refund any overpayment back into your bank account. Otherwise, you will receive a credit notice so that you can claim a refund.

If you no longer qualify for single person discount

You must notify us immediately if you are no longer the only adult in the property, because;

  • someone has moved in with you,
  • or, someone in your household has reached the age of 18,
  • or, someone in your household no longer qualifies for a discount.

Please complete the form below.

Single person discount cancellation form

Single person discount review

Each year we undertake a single person discount review. This is to ensure that you are still entitled to the reduction. If you were not entitled to all or part of the reduction, we will send you a backdated revised council tax bill.