Severely mentally impaired

You may get a reduction if someone age 18 or over lives with you and is severely mentally disabled. If you are the only occupier in your home and you are severely mentally impaired, you may qualify for an exemption.

You will need your 12 digit council tax reference number to apply for the discount. It is on the top left of your bill under the address.

If you, or someone over the age of 18 who lives with you, has a severe mental impairment, we may be able to reduce your bill. 

The term ‘severely mentally impaired’ refers to persons who have:

  • a severe impairment of intelligence,
  • or social functioning (however caused),
  • which appears to be permanent. 

The property may be exempt from council tax, if all the residents have a severe mental impairment. If the property is also occupied by one person who does not have a severe mental impairment, then a reduction of 25% may apply.

We need confirmation from a doctor, that the person has a severe mental impairment. The doctor must confirm the date in which they considered this to be permanent. We also need evidence that the person is in receipt of or eligible for certain welfare benefits.

The qualifying welfare benefits are as follows;

  • Universal Credit (UC). Including an element for limited capability for work or work related activity.
  • Incapacity benefit (short or long term) or Employment Support Allowance (ESA). Either income related or contributory.
  • Income Support (IS) which includes a disability premium because of incapacity for work
  • Attendance Allowance (AA)
  • The Standard or Enhanced Daily Living Rate of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • The Highest or Middle Rate Care Component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Severe disablement allowance
  • An increase in the rate of disablement pension for constant attendance
  • A disability working allowance
  • The disability element of Working Tax Credit
  • Constant attendance allowance payable under the Industrial Injuries or War pensions Schemes
  • Unemployability allowance payable under the Industrial Injuries or War pensions Scheme

To apply, please complete the form below, providing as much detail as possible.

Apply here

If you have not requested proof from your GP or other medical professional. Please ask them to complete the following.

GP Letter

You must still pay the amount on your existing council tax bill until you hear from us. We will issue a new bill if you qualify for the reduction.


If you paid by Direct Debit, we will refund any overpayment back into your bank account. Otherwise, you will receive a credit notice so that you can claim a refund.

If you no longer qualify for a discount

You must tell us within 21 days if you believe that you are no longer entitled to the discount or exemption. If you were not entitled to all or part of the reduction, we will send you a backdated revised council tax bill.