Claim Council Tax Support if you are on a low income

Advise us if your circumstances change

You must tell us about any changes in your circumstances within 21 days of the change taking place.

If you get Universal Credit you must inform the Department for Work and Pensions of any changes.

Changes you must tell us about include:

  • you or anyone living with you gets a job (no matter how many hours they work), changes their job or leaves their job
  • you or anyone living with you receives any pension
  • any of your children leave school or leave home
  • anyone moves into or out of your home (including lodgers and sub-tenants)
  • your income (including benefits) or the income of anyone living with you changes
  • your capital, savings or investments change
  • you or anyone living with you becomes a student, goes on a training scheme, or goes into hospital, nursing home or prison
  • you move address
  • you or your partner are going to be away from home for more than a month
  • anyone in your household dies
  • you receive any decision from the Home Office
  • or anything you have already told us about changes

You must tell us about any changes. Do not rely on someone else to pass the message on.

Tell us about a Change in Circumstances


If you fail to report that your circumstances have changed, the council may impose a penalty of £70.00. If you fail to tell us on more than one occasion we may increase the penalty to £280.00.


You must still pay the amount on your existing council tax bill until you hear from us. We will issue a new bill if you qualify for the reduction.

If you paid by Direct Debit, we will refund any overpayment back into your bank account. Otherwise, you will receive a credit notice so that you can claim a refund.