Voter identification (ID)


Voters in Great Britain need to show photo identification (ID) in order to vote in person at elections.

There are many forms of existing photo identification which will be accepted. They don't even have to be in date and an expired document is fine so long as the photo of you is a good likeness.

If you don't have one of them then you can also apply for a form of photo ID - a Voter Authority Certificate - that's specifically for use when voting in person.

You do not need a photo ID in order to apply to vote by post or proxy, however, the proxy will need to show their photo ID at the polling station.

Transcript of Electoral Commission - Quick guide to voting: Which forms of photo ID can you use in England video

Accepted photo ID

You may already have a form of photo ID that is acceptable, such as a:

  • passport issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory, an EEA state or a Commonwealth country (including an Irish Passport Card)
  • driving licence issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, or an EEA state (including provisional driving licence)
  • blue badge
  • UK Government funded travel cards (older person’s bus pass, Oyster 60+ card, disabled person’s bus pass and freedom pass)
  • identity card bearing the Proof of Age Standards Scheme hologram (a PASS card)
  • biometric immigration document
  • Ministry of Defence form 90 (Defence Identity Card)
  • national identity card issued by an EEA state
  • anonymous elector's document

Voters only need to show one form of photo ID to vote, but it must be the original version and not a photocopy. 

For more information on which forms of photo ID will be accepted:

Private ID checks

Anyone who wants to show their ID to the polling station staff in private can do so. You don’t need to provide any reason why.

We provide privacy screens in all our polling stations - just ask the staff and they will arrange for you to show your ID in private.

Face coverings

If you wear a face covering for religious purposes and would like a female member of staff to conduct your ID check we can do that.

We may ask you to wait for a few minutes for a female member of staff to arrive at the polling station. 

If you have any concerns about this please call us for a confidential chat. To do so:

  • call 0191 278 7878 and ask for Electoral Services

If you lose your ID

If your ID document is lost, damaged or stolen then you can apply for a Voter Authority Certificate at any time up to 5pm, 6 working days before polling day.

If it is lost, damaged or stolen after that time then you can apply for an emergency proxy vote, up to 5pm on election day. In that case you nominate someone else to vote on your behalf, using their ID.

For more information:

Voter ID data

We report data to the Electoral Commission on how voter ID rules impact elections.

For more information see: