Some businesses in England are eligible for a reduction in their business rates bill. This is called business rates relief.

When you can get business rates relief

You may be eligible for business rates relief if your business is:

  • a small business
  • a retail, hospitality and leisure property - for example, a shop, restaurant, entertainment venue or hotel
  • the only business in a rural area
  • a charity or a community amateur sports club
  • a local newspaper

You may also be eligible for business rates relief if:

  • you own a property and it’s empty, partly empty or being refurbished
  • you are in financial difficulty

For more information on business rates relief see:

Types of business rates relief on Gov.uk

You will need your business rates reference number to apply for a relief or exemption. It begins with 69 or 70 and is on the top of your bill. 

You must still pay the amount on your business rates bill until you hear from us. We will apply the reduction should you qualify and send you a new bill.

Change of circumstances

You must tell us if:

  • you take up an additional property
  • the rateable value of another property you use changes
  • you no longer rent or own the property

The quickest and easiest way to report a change is to complete our online form:

Tell us about a business rates change

For any other queries you can contact us by email to busness.rates@newcastle.gov.uk.

You must notify us within 28 days of the change taking place. If we find out later that you were not entitled to all or part of the reduction that you were awarded, we will send you a revised backdated bill.


If your business rates account is in credit, you can claim a refund.

Apply for a business rates refund