Correct a registration

How to correct a mistake on a marriage or civil partnership registration, a birth registration or a death registration.

Correct a death registration

If there is a mistake on a death registration, you can apply to have it changed. 

Apply to correct a death registration on GOV.UK

Who can correct a death registration

You can correct a mistake on a death registration if you are:

  • a relative of the deceased 
  • a person who would have been able to register the death 

If you are not the person who originally registered the death

If you are not the person who originally registered the death you must provide a letter from that person agreeing to the correction. Failure to do so may delay your application.

The letter should contain their name, address and a contact telephone number and/or email address. We also require documentary evidence of your relationship to the person shown on the original entry.

Information you need

You will need to prove that the information provided was wrong at the time of registration. For more information on how to prove the registration was wrong, and the application process, go to correct a death registration on GOV.UK.

Correction fees

There will be a fee to pay for any correction to a registration. Find out more about fees for making a change to a registration.

Where to send completed application forms

Completed applications should be returned to Newcastle Register Office.

Correct a death registration following a coroner's inquest

This guidance will not apply if you want to correct a death registration which was originally registered following a coroner's inquest. For further advice on how to apply for a correction where there has been an inquest, you should contact the Register Office.

After you apply

When we receive the application for correction we will check if it can be corrected locally or if it requires authorisation from The General Register Office.

If the correction can be made locally, we will contact you to arrange an appointment to attend one of our offices. We will advise what documents you should bring with you to the appointment and the fees that will apply for your correction.

If the application requires approval from The General Register Office, we will call you to explain the next steps and take payment for the correction. We will then send the application on your behalf.

Newcastle Registration Service

To contact us:

  • phone 0191 2787878 and ask for registrars
  • email us

Alternatively, you can contact The General Register Office.