Correct a registration

How to correct a mistake on a marriage or civil partnership registration, a birth registration or a death registration.

Correct a birth registration

If there is a mistake on a birth registration, you can apply to have it changed. You can apply for a correction if you are the mother or if you are the father (your details must be recorded on the certificate).

Apply to correct a birth registration on GOV.UK.

Change or remove the father's details

You can also apply to change who the recorded father is if you can prove that the man named on the certificate is not the natural father of the child.

Apply to remove the wrong father's details from a birth registration on GOV.UK.

Information you need

You will need to prove that the information provided was wrong at the time of registration. For more information on how to prove the registration was wrong, and the application process, go to correct a birth registration on GOV.UK.

Correction fees

There will be a fee to pay for any correction to a registration. Find out more about fees for making a change to a registration.

Where to send completed application forms

Completed applications should be returned to Newcastle Register Office.

After you apply

When we receive the application for correction we will check if it can be corrected locally or if it requires authorisation from The General Register Office.

If the correction can be made locally, we will contact you to arrange an appointment to attend one of our offices. We will advise what documents you should bring with you to the appointment and the fees that will apply for your correction.

If the application requires approval from The General Register Office, we will call you to explain the next steps and take payment for the correction. We will then send the application on your behalf.

Newcastle Registration Service

To contact us:

  • phone 0191 2787878 and ask for registrars
  • email us

Alternatively, you can contact The General Register Office.